Index to Outside the Walls Ideas
January 2002-June 2002
1. January 2002: On the Challenge of Change
August 2002-December 2002
2. February Who pays for Public Education
3. March Relationship: On being "dropped like a hot potato"
4. April Staying connected
5. May The smallest Public Relations might mean the most
6. June Don't forget those alumni
7. August Person-to-Person: The Effective Communication
January 2003-May 2003
8. September The importance of a real live contact person
9. October Imperfection: a blessing, not a curse?
10. November Connecting with Senior Citizens
11. December An idea for helping with the Holiday Blues
12. January 2003 Seeing the obvious - a learning at the Stratosphere
July 2003-December 2003
13. February Public Celebration of Public Schools
14. March Importance of Connecting with Pre-School Parents
15. April Columbine: their - and any - school tragedy impacts on you
16. May Cleaning up the school Public Relations mess - a team effort
17. July The importance of the 'good school' feeling
January 2004-May 2004
18. Aug-Sep Taking the "missed" out of "missed opportunity"
19. October Celebrating American Education Week each November
20. November Making a school need into a benefit for the entire community
21. December Remembering an "olden days" school-community partnership
22. January 2004 Building Relationships Outside the Walls
August 2004-December 2004
23. February How people get their information
24. March Elements of Winning
25. April Acknowledgment vs Evasion - guaranteeing a loss
26. May A granddaughter's graduation from high school
27. August Whose mess?
January 2005-May 2005
28. September What about those retired employees?
29. October Using available opportunities for public relations
30. November The bottleneck: blocked at the top
31. December A former Governor talks about schools with community
32. January 2005 A commencement, and a missed opportunity
August 2005-December 2005
33. February Noticing and engaging the obvious allies
34. March A Gathering on the Capitol Steps
35. April Red Lake and the community of humanity
36. May "Rules minus Relationship equals Rebellion"
37. August Looking for the "Needle in the Haystack"
January 2006-May 2006
38. September Importance of follow-through: "I'm making a list..."
39. October Using American Education Week Outside the Walls
40. Nov-Dec The Bequest
41. January 2006 Results, "Bells and Whistles" and the Nitty Gritty
August 2006-December 2006
42. February Customer Service
43. March Don't count anyone out: A Monet Moment
44. April The Cover Story
45. May Planning Ahead...and Looking for Your Best Talent
46. August 2006 The "Little Things" [do] "Mean a Lot"
January 2007-May 2007
47. September 2006 More on the "Little Things": Passing a referendum
48. October 2006 American Education Week
49. November 2006 "Is This a Welcome?"
50. December 2006 Winning by Polls?
51. January: Special Friend Day: The Ripple Effect
August 2007-February 2008
52. February: How About "VIKing" We Outsiders?
53. March: TMVW: Visiting the (Uncomfortably) Obvious
54. April: Championship Calibre
55. May: The Importance of Two Little Words
56. August: Two Beets...and Relationships
57. September 2007: Visioning Visionaries Below the Pinnacle
58. October 2007: A Community Conversation
59. February: Adieu
Additional Resources(Some materials require Adobe Reader. Free download of Adobe Reader.)
A letter from the President
Summary of research and commentary on Nov. 5, 2002 Minnesota School Bond and Levy Referendums (click here)
Referendum 2001: A Look Back to the Future, published in May-June, 2002, Journal of the Minnesota School Boards Association. click here
Supplemental data on 2001 and prior referendums. Click here.
Websites recommended, but not affiliated with, the Outside the Walls program:
www.minnspra.org (Minnesota School Public Relations Association)
www.nspra.org (National School Public Relations Association)
www.parentsunited.org (local public school advocacy group)
(information about public education)